Forgot your password?

Home  /  Magazine  /  Album


Anglican Archdeacon Thomas Vincent wears clothing made for him by Cree people of the diocese of Moosonee. The photograph was likely taken during his 1886 trip to England for the Publications of his Cree translation of John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress. Despite Vincent's devotion to church principles and years of service to northern communities, his own progress within the church was repeatedly blocked by the racial views of his immediate superiors. Church leaders in England, however, saw his partly Aboriginal ancestry as a benefit, not a hindrance, to his ministry. Vincent's great-great-grandson Thomas Prewer now possesses the hood seen in the photograph.

Submitted by Kathleen M. Prewer Lyne

Giovanni-Battisto Graziadei is pictured happily playing the drums at his son’s wedding reception on June 12, 1965. J.B., as he came to be known, was the son of Italian immigrant Rocco-Antonio Graziadei, a bandleader and harpist in Ottawa during the Jazz Age of the Roaring Twenties and Great Depression. The senior Graziadei was also the father of ten children, all of whom played a musical instrument and eventually became the members of the Graziadei orchestra.

Under Rocco-Antonio, the orchestra performed at evening parties, public and private banquets, and wedding receptions, including for prominent local figures, politicians, and foreign diplomats. Every member was musically talented and was available to people interested in receiving music lessons.

During the day, Rocco-Antonio worked as a steamship agent and as a translator for the Italian Consulate to assist new arrivals. He also sold produce from his garden plot. His passing in 1935 was covered by the area’s English- and French-language newspapers.

After the death of his father, Giovanni-Battisto Graziadei continued the family legacy by comprising his own private orchestra and performing at the same kinds of evening events. J.B. was not only an accomplished percussionist; he graduated from the University of Ottawa and worked making bridges and dentures for dentists. But he lost his engineering career to the Great Depression, eventually working for the post office to support his wife and five sons.

Music was a part of J.B.’s life up to his death in 1975. Each year on December 23 he performed at a concert in the children’s wing of the Ottawa General Hospital on Bruyère Street, near his residence.

Submitted Marc Graziadei, grandson of Giovanni-Battisto Graziadei.

With the passage of the Militia Act of 1868, defence of the new Dominion of Canada was left primarily to paid militia that was recruited on a voluntary basis and organized into local units — as opposed to the universal military service of the previous militia. By 1869, there were 31,170 officers and enlisted men in this new militia out of a population of three and a half million people.

One such unit was the Argenteuil Rangers (11th Battalion of Militia Infantry) based in Argenteuil County in Quebec, just across the Ottawa River from Ontario. It had been founded in 1862 by John Abbott — who served as prime minister from 1891 to 1892 — to defend the growing province from Fenian raids and other threats. Abbott commanded the battalion until 1884.

This photograph dates from around 1886 and was taken in Montreal by A.I. Rice. It shows Abbott (in civilian dress) posing with officers of the Argenteuil Rangers. The seated officer is Colonel James Brock Cushing, who was the unit’s commander, while the two other officers are (from left to right) William Williamson and William Owens.

Like others of the time, these men were, in addition to their military service, involved in many aspects of daily life, including business, politics, and more. For example, Williamson was also a justice of the peace and ran an international lumber business in Montreal.

The photograph originally hung in Williamson’s home (now a National Historic site) by the Ottawa River, just west of the village of Pointe-Fortune, Quebec. I received it from my parents after graduating with a master’s degree in history from Concordia University.

Submitted by Bruce Redfern, the great-great-grandson of William Williamson.

May 7, 1945, was a day Rose Elsegood would long remember, even though she was only twelve. Her teacher had told the class that the war was over, Nazi Germany had surrendered, and lessons were done for the day.

Elsegood joined the excited, cheering children cascading out of schools and into the Toronto streets. “This man in a business suit stopped her ... and asked what was going on,” said Janette Kasperski, Elsegood’s daughter. “She said the war was over, and he threw his briefcase up in the air, and his papers flew all over the place.”

Rose arrived home to see that her family had gathered, and that was when this photograph was taken. She is holding the newspaper that reads, “Peace is here, Nazis give up,” and remembers the house being full of people that night. As neighbours made their way door-to-door to celebrate, her father passed out drinks to all the guests.

For Rose’s sister Eleanor, the end of the war couldn’t have come any sooner. Her boyfriend and future husband, Grant Rowland, had just turned eighteen. If the conflict had continued, he would have gone overseas to fight.

The war had already affected another sister, Evelyn, and her boys, David and Tom. Evelyn’s husband, Thomas Carthew of the Queen’s Own Rifles, spent most of the war overseas, but his sons — seen here on the shoulders of her sister and her brother- in-law — had been too young to remember his departure.

After the war, Rose worked three summers as a farmhand. As men returned, many attended university, leaving farms in need of workers. Women like Rose who took these jobs were called “farmerettes.”

“She would work from June to October and got as much as fifty dollars,” said Kasperski. “She considered herself rich when she had that.”

Submitted by Janette Kasperski, daughter of Rose Elsegood. Text by Steve Ducharme.

In this photo taken in 1937 or 1938 at Lake of the Woods in northwestern Ontario, Olaf Johnson sits on a beached houseboat with his children, Adeline and John. Johnson was a commercial fisherman by trade, but he supplemented his income by contracting on various small projects at camps and homesteads around the lake.

His family accompanied him as he moved from one job site to another. This photo was taken on remote Centre Island, not far from the American border, where he was hired to build a cabin. It was a transient and isolated existence, but the Johnson family bond was strengthened through their hardship.

Johnson was a quiet and contemplative man who spent most of his free time reading and gardening. The children were educated by correspondence; Johnson always showed an interest in what they were learning and helped when he could.

Johnson moved to Lake of the Woods from Minnesota when he was eighteen. He married Rose Boucha of French Portage, whose ancestry included Aboriginal women, Scottish and English traders and French voyageurs. The moccasins worn by Adeline in the photo were made for her by her grandmother.

In the early 1940s, the Johnsons traded in the nomadic life for a permanent home outside of Sioux Narrows, Ontario. According to her daughter, Becky Johnson, Adeline still looks back fondly on her childhood and on the lifestyle she enjoyed with her family at Lake of the Woods.

Submitted by Becky Johnson of Winnipeg, daughter of Adeline Johnson. Text by Steve Ducharme.

At the end of the Second World War, nylon stockings — which had been rationed during the war — came back onto the market. First introduced at the 1939 New York World’s Fair by the DuPont Corporation, nylon stockings were an instant hit. They offered the delicate appearance of silk stockings at a far more affordable price. But as the war progressed, they became scarce — nylon was needed to make parachutes for the air force.

During the war, women often went bare-legged and drew a line down the backs of their legs to give the illusion of wearing stockings — a chilly prospect in cities like Edmonton. In this photo, which appeared on the front page of the Edmonton Journal in 1945, Trudy Potts (now Behan) publicizes the return of nylon stockings in Canada.

Only seventeen at the time of this photo, Trudy later met and married John Behan, one of the returning officers who may have trained with a parachute constructed from those redirected nylon supplies. John and his elder brothers Bill and Bob all served as navigation officers in the Canadian Air Force during the war.

This photo was taken by Trudy’s uncle, Alfred Blyth, an award-winning photographer in Edmonton who was well-known for his photographs of the Calgary Stampede and several royal visits to Canada.

Submitted by Beverley Behan of New York, who is the daughter of Trudy and John Behan, now ages eighty-six and ninety, of White Rock, British Columbia.

Trudeaumania was a word used to describe the excitement and celebrity that surrounded Pierre Trudeau as he ran for the leadership of the federal Liberal Party in 1968 and subsequently became prime minister. Trudeaumania was fuelled by Trudeau’s charisma and by the youthful exuberance of his supporters. As this photo illustrates, Trudeaumania had a far-reaching impact on Canadians, including when it came to fashion trends.

Bride Valerie Black (née Ruller) was particularly enamoured by the styles displayed at the wedding of Pierre and Margaret Trudeau in 1971. In this photo, taken on October 23, 1973, twenty-year-old Black stands in front of her parents’ house in Kastnerville, Ontario, surrounded by her bridal party on her wedding day. The hooded bridesmaid dresses were modelled after the dress worn in Margaret Trudeau’s bridal party. Similar to Trudeau, who sewed her own wedding dress, Black and her sisters made these garments themselves. The process took almost four months to complete.

A quintessential flower child, Trudeau wore daisies in her hair (note the daisy bouquets in this wedding party). Trudeau also wore a large medallion around her neck. This bride and her bridesmaids had similar pieces of jewellery. The bridal party includes (from left to right) Black’s two sisters, Joan and Shirley, her husband’s sisters, Helen and Barbara, and Black’s niece Kim.

Submitted by Melissa Black of Poplar Hill, Ontario. Melissa is the daughter of Valerie Black. Text by Maria Cristina Laureano.


The Lundbreck Trading Co. is located in the hamlet of Lundbreck in southern Alberta. Established by the Rogers brothers in the early 1900s, the general store changed hands several times until it was finally purchased in 1910 by Mr. and Mrs. Walter Knight, who are sitting in the first buggy, and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Densmore, who are sitting in the middle buggy.

Donald Timmermans bought the store from the Densmore family in 1962 and ran it until 1973. However, his career as the proprietor nearly came to a sudden halt in 1963 after a fire broke out in the neighbouring Windsor Hotel, located just off-camera on the right. As the hotel burned to the ground, the flames threatened to engulf the trading company as well. Timmermans’ son Pieter recalls the struggle to save his family’s store. “I was on the flat roof of the trading company with a garden hose, spraying the side of our building,” Pieter said. “It helped [save the building], but a lot of the siding melted.”

Today, the Lundbreck Trading Co. building houses a pizza parlour, a second-hand store, and apartments on the top floor. As for the Windsor Hotel, all that survived was the double-decker outhouse, the small structure seen here at the far right of the photo. It has been relocated to the Calgary Heritage Park.

- Submitted by Pieter Timmermans, son of Donald Timmermans of Lundbreck,
Alberta. Text by Maria Cristina Laureano.

My family and I immigrated to Canada from China primarily to reunite my father with his family. We arrived in Laporte, Saskatchewan, where my father’s parents lived, on November 20, 1972. This photograph was taken in front of my grandfather's general store in Laporte, at the time a settlement of fewer than five people.

In the photo I am twelve years old, standing next to my eight-year-old sister on one side; my brothers, aged fifteen and six, are on the other side. In the centre are my grandparents, my father, and my mother. We are dressed in winter jackets and fur hats purchased in Hong Kong. However, the Chinese-made clothing proved inadequate for an authentic Canadian winter. This image is now permanently etched into my memory as being our first encounter with snow.

The family reunion with my grandparents lasted five weeks. Then we were off to Montreal to live with my father's sister. Montreal became my home for the next four decades.

— Submitted by Wah Wing Chan, a printmaker who lives in Montreal.

The horse-drawn Watkins wagon, with its spices, extracts, and medicines, was at one time a welcome visitor at many farm homes. The wagon in the photograph was driven by a man named Reed or Reid. The picture was taken in 1918 or 1919 at the Scotton home, located north of Cowley, near Lethbridge in southern Alberta. Mamie Scotton (the former Mamie Bare) stands next to the horses, close to her daughter Ellen. Her three oldest sons — Chester, Freeman, and Lloyd — are seated or standing on the wagon. A Watkins sample case leans against the front wheel of the wagon.

The J.R. Watkins Medical Company was founded in Plainview, Minnesota, in 1868. Joseph Watkins’ first product was Red Liniment and he pioneered direct selling concepts such as the “money-back guarantee.” By 1920, Watkins had about a hundred different kinds of products available for door-to-door sale across the continent. The firm continues to operate today as a direct selling company, with over 80,000 independent sales associates in North America.

Submitted by Ray Scotton, son of George and Mamie Scotton of Cowley, Alberta.

Past Albums

Browse our archive by:

Displaying results 1-10 (of 41)
 |<  < 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5  >  >| 

We're not sure we'd want the fellow seated at the far left for our ob-gyn. He scowls. And he doesn't so much hold the baby as give it leave to loiter on his person. Better the chap standing directly behind him. That's intern Willia...


It was a fine day for a picnic when the Smales and Dale families met in the picturesque Qu'Apple Valley, west of Fort Qu'Appelle, circa 1905. Shown wearing her best white dress is H.G. Bartlett's mother, Dolly (Dora) Smales, born in 1893...


F.A. Clayton General Blacksmith performed an essential service in the days when horses and wagons were the common form of conveyance. Frank Albert Clayton ran his blacksmith business in Armstrong, British Columbia.The shop had several stalls in the bac...


This photograph, taken on May 23, 1907, showcases a funeral procession passing by the Dundas, Ontario, home of Dr. James Ross, Surgeon Lieutenant of the 77th Regiment and Signal Corps. Ross had died two days earlier at the age of fifty-three. Peop...


After a while, after you savour the oilcloth-covered table and the clay pipe and the nest of boots and the wooden, wired slops bucket, your eyes go to the hand on the far right. A woman's hand, perhaps? If so, why is the man peeling the potatoes?A cent...


Nothing says summer like a walk through the local neighbourhood with the aroma of freshly baked bread and other delectable confections wafting through the air. Such was the pleasure that greeted Torontonians in the early 1900s when they arrived at 1252...


Another look at A. E. Gamble — Arthur Earnest Gamble's bakery shop in the early 1900s.“Aunt Jessie,” Gamble's eldest sister, stands at the ready to serve freshly baked crusty bread, turnovers, and other sweet treats. The emporium, at ...


William James Davidson (second from the left) emigrated to Minitonas, Manitoba, from Owen Sound, Ontario, with his father, mother, and seven siblings to start a farm. In 1899, the railway was only built as far as Dauphin, Maintoba, so the family had...


Tom Kennedy was a railway man. In 1897, at the age of eighteen, he joined the Michigan Central, which operated lines in southern Ontario’s Niagara region. His first occupation was as a call boy, running to the homes of men employed on the train c...


Harold Birkett, the young man smoking the pipe, came to Canada in 1908 to farm. However, he settled in British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley, where he managed a boathouse.On this beautiful B.C. afternoon in 1914, Birkett relaxes with his friends aft...

Displaying results 1-10 (of 41)
 |<  < 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5  >  >| 

Album has been our magazine's most beloved department for over ten years.

Hundreds of readers have sent us cherished family photos depicting ordinary and important moments in Canadian history, however, we can only print six images per year.

Now, we are bringing our archive of those photos online and will showcase them here.

Support history Right Now! Donate
© Canada's History 2015
Feedback Analytics